Some people say there is not much to do in Asahikawa, but we think they’re wrong! We found 10 places in just 10 minutes:
- Visit the Asahiyama Zoo. Tourists trek to it from other countries.
- Eat ramen (梅光軒、青葉). Asahikawa is famous throughout Japan for its ramen!
- Eat soft serve (called ソフトクリーム). Hokkaido is renowned for its dairy products, and you can find exclusive flavors such as haskap (a blue, oval-shaped berry).
- Visit the airport. You can find Asahikawa and Hokkaido specialties like omiyage, yuru-chara collectibles, onsen bath salts, corn-flavored Pretz, etc. Visit the gelato store near the airport too!
- Snow Museum (雪の美術館). Ice corridor, exhibits, concerts, art gallery.
- Take a stroll along the riverline (石狩川公園).
- Asahiyama Snow Village (旭山・雪の村). Skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, snow bananas, snow rafting, sledding, tubing, snow plow rides
- Hang out at the Asahikawa Station area (ice festival in spring, beer festival in summer, restaurants, shops, market, game center, movie theatre, etc.)
- Asahikawa City Museum (旭川市博物館)
- Asahikawa Science Center (旭川市科学館「サイパル」). Observatory, planetarium, science exhibits.
For more ideas and events, check out Asahikawa International Center‘s monthly Asahikawa INFO newsletter and Asanavi.